Caring for china can be stressful, especially when you don’t know where to begin. But by following just a few simple tips, you can ensure that your china will continue to look brand new, forever.
1. While most china can be cared for the same way, be sure to check the manufacturer’s specific instructions for any exceptions.
2. Most fine china can washed in the dishwasher but to prevent chips and cracks, position each piece in a way that prevents them from knocking into one another.
3. If your china has hand-applied decorations, avoid putting it in the dishwasher, as the heat can damage gold or platinum bands.
4. Let your china air dry when putting it in the dishwasher. If your dishwasher does not have an air dry setting, simply stop it before the dry cycle begins and leave the door open.
5. Place liners or paper plates in between fine china when stacking them for storage to keep them looking pristine.
6. Instead of using scouring powders or steel wool on your china when you need to clean off dried-on food, soak each piece for several minutes. This will remove the food, while preventing scratches.
7. When hand washing your china, place a rubber mat or a towel at the bottom of the sink to avoid chips or cracks.
8. China can crack from temperature extremes, so avoid moving your pieces directly from the refrigerator to the oven.
China is special, and often something that you want to pass down from generation to generation. By following these simple care tips, you can ensure that your pieces will remain in perfect condition for years to come.